If you are not being able to use the browser in a proper way, then this is quite an irritating situation for internet users. Some users often complain that the Firefox is not responding on Windows 10 while they were trying to open this browser. There are several causes behind this issue.
Untested or intrusive plug-ins can create this error. If the Firefox profile only has the read-only permission, then you can also face this error. If you are trying to run too many freeware converters at once, then it also might be the reason behind this issue.
If you are using Mozilla Firefox as your default web browser and facing the same issue, then nothing to get worried about this. Here in this guide, you will know some amazing ways which can help you to troubleshoot this issue. Hence, you are advised to have a look at the guide given below.
Firefox is Not Responding: Fix this Issue with Amazing Hacks
There are a lot of ways to fix this issue. But before going to implement any complicated solutions, you should apply a fresh restart. The error message Firefox is not responding indicates that something has stopped the browser to open. Hence, a restart might be the ideal solution to reinitiate everything.
First, close the Firefox if it opens. Then, you have to restart the system. Open the Firefox browser and check if everything is running well. If it is not, then you should implement the hacks explained below:
Procedure 1: Check for the Required Access Permissions
If the browser you are using doesn’t have the permission to create files, then you can face this issue. Fortunately, you can fix this issue by changing the settings of the profile folder. Here are the steps that you should perform:
- At first, hit the R and Windows key both at the same time from the keyboard to open the Run Command box.
- Then, type “%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\” in the Run box. Press the Enter key from the keyboard to navigate to the target page. It will launch the folder contains the profile folders of the Firefox browser.
- Tap on the Firefox folder. Right-click on the Profiles folder. Tap on the Properties option from the list.
- On the next window, you should navigate to the General tab. Then, you have to confirm that the Read-only option is not checked. Tap on the Apply button.
- If you see that the Read-only option was checked, then uncheck it and restart the system.
After that, you should try to launch the Firefox browser to check if it runs without any signs of unresponsiveness. But, if you still face the same issue, then move on to the further solutions stated below.
Procedure 2: Clear the Cache and Cookies
By clearing the cache and cookies of the browser, you can also fix this issue. By removing the cached of the web page versions as well as cookies, you can successfully defeat other potential culprits that might be creating this issue. To perform this, you should follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, click twice on the Firefox icon. Then, navigate to the upper right corner of the screen and tap on the three-dot shaped menu icon.
- Tap on the Options from the list.
- Now, navigate to the Privacy & Security category. Scroll down the list to find the Cached Web Content. Tap on the Clear Now option.
- Exit from the FireFox and reboot the system.
After that, you have to open the Firefox browser to check whether the issue has been resolved or not. If you see that the issue persists, then you should perform the further procedures described below.
Procedure 3: Update the Graphics Card Drivers
The outdated driver also might be the reason behind the occurrence of this issue. Hence, you have to make sure that the Windows 10 system runs on the newest driver updates. To check this, you should perform the steps that have been provided below:
- At first, move the cursor to the bottom left corner of the screen and tap on the Start menu.
- Type “device manager” on the Search bar of the Start menu. Now, tap on the same entry showing as the search result.
- Under the Device Manager window, you have to expand the Display adapters section.
- Now, right-click on each entry. Select the Update driver software option from the list.
- Tap on the Done button.
After updating the drivers, you should open the Firefox browser and check if the issue still occurs or not. If the issue is still unresolved, then perform the next solution discussed below.
Procedure 4: Deactivate the Hardware Acceleration from Firefox Browser
Hardware acceleration is a feature of the Firefox browser that is related to the graphics card. Sometimes it happens that, depending on the setups of the graphics card, Firefox might get into the freeze loop where hardware acceleration is in use. Hence, you have to turn off this feature.
How do you Disable Hardware Acceleration?
- First, open the Firefox browser. Go to the upper right side of the screen and tap on the Menu icon.
- Tap on the Options from the list.
- Now, you should navigate to the General panel. Tap on the Performance entry.
- From the next window, you have to untick the box that prompts Use recommended performance settings checkbox. Here you also need to untick the Use hardware acceleration when available box.
- After that, exit from the Firefox browser.
Restart the system and open the Firefox browser. Now, you should check if the issue still continues or not. If the problem persists, then go to further solutions.
Procedure 5: Reinitiate the Firefox Files
If there are any corrupted files on the Firefox browser, then you can also face this issue. Hence, you should try to repair them. Here are the steps that you should follow to perform this:
- First, navigate to the official web page of the Mozilla Firefox browser. Then, download a new installer file for the Windows 10 Operating System.
- Then, exit from the Firefox browser and restart the computer.
- Now, you have to go to the location where you have installed the Firefox previously. Then, install the newly downloaded installer file by following the on-screen prompts.
After completing the installation process, you have to restart the system once again. Then, open the Firefox and check if the issue persists or not. If the issue still occurs, then perform the next solutions.
Procedure 6: Create A Fresh Place Database
Interrupted downloading process of the Firefox browser can also create this issue. According to some users, they have fixed this issue by placing a new database. To make a fresh database, you should follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open the Firefox browser and tap on the Menu icon. Now, go to the Help section.
- Navigate to the Troubleshooting information section. Tap on the Application Basics option. Then, click on the Open Folder option.
- Now, you have to launch the Menu list and tap on the Power-off icon.
- It will turn off the Firefox.
- Now, navigate to the Firefox folder on the computer. Now, go to the Profile folder. Rename the ‘places.sqlite’ file ‘places.sqlite.old’ and the ‘places.sqlite-journal’ file to ‘places.sqlite-journal.old.’
- After that, you have to restart the Firefox browser.
Now, you should check if the issue is still unresolved or not. If you see that the issue persists, then move on to the further solution.
Procedure 7: Remove the Session Restore files
If there are stored several Session Restore packages, then the web browser can run slowly or randomly prevent its progress. Hence, you should try to remove the session restore files to check if it can fix the issue. To check it, you can have a look at the steps stated below:
- Open the Firefox browser and tap on the on Menu icon. Navigate to the Help section.
- Tap on the Troubleshooting information option.
- Tap on the Open Folder by going to the Application Basics section.
- Again, you have to tap on the Menu button and choose the Power-off option from the list.
- From the Profile folder, you have to remove the ‘sessionstore.js’ file. In addition, you also have to eliminate the associated files like ‘session store-1.js’ and others.
Now, you should try to open the Firefox browser to check whether the issue has been resolved.
In this discussion, we have described some of the possible hacks to troubleshoot the Firefox not responding again and again issue. We hope, after successfully executing the above steps, it will surely assist you to use the Firefox browser without any trouble.
Sometimes, it’s become difficult to perform the above-mentioned ways. At this juncture, you can get help from a professional. In addition, you can also share your doubts and valuable feedback through the comment section given at the end of this guide.