In this world connected with the internet, Mozilla Firefox gives a tough competition to its rivals. With a large user base, it provides many features for its users.
Being a reputed browser it is not immune to certain issues that occur almost on a regular basis. Firefox black screen is one such issue that troubles many users.
If you are among the users who are facing this Firefox issue while browsing, then don’t worry. Know that this issue is caused because of a bug in the recent update of Firefox web browser. However, there can be other reasons that can lead to the issue. And that is just part of what we are going to discuss in this article along with other relevant stuff.
Moreover, after discussing the causes we will try to perform some fixing methods to fix this Mozilla Firefox issue. Hence, now you can move to the next part of the article below.
Get to Know the Common Causes of this Firefox Black Screen Issue
Recently, Mozilla explained the root cause of this black screen issue. However, there can be more causes of this issue that we will cover all here. Hence, you can follow up on the points that we listed down:
- A new feature called Off Main Thread Compositing (OMTC) is the root cause of this Firefox issue.
- In case the Mozilla Firefox web browser is out of date, then also the issue can occur.
- Also if there are too many cache and cookies files.
- In another case, installed third-party add-ons can make the screen black.
- Third-party software conflict can also lead to the issue.
- Also, corrupt installation of the Mozilla Firefox web browser can cause the issue to occur.
Therefore, these are the top causes that are responsible for the Firefox issue to occur. Hence, in order to learn the fixing hacks, you can proceed to the following section.
Bypass the Mozilla Firefox Black Screen Issue with just Simple Hacks
Here you can get the Firefox issue resolved in just a few minutes by following all the steps of each method. Hence, the methods to perform are provided below:
Hack 1: Try to Disable the Hardware Acceleration
The concept of Hardware Acceleration helps to enhance the user interface of the application. However, in some cases, it proves to provide many issues.
Hence, you can disable the feature by following the steps that are given below:
- First of all, open the Mozilla Firefox web browser by double-clicking on its icon.
- As the Mozilla Firefox web browser opens, you have to type about:preferences in the address bar.
- Now, press the Enter key from the system’s keyboard.
- As the pages open, scroll down to the Performance section.
- Here you have to uncheck the box beside Use recommended performance settings option.
- Next, save the settings and then, close the Mozilla Firefox web browser.
- Relaunch the Mozilla Firefox web browser in order to check if the issue still occurs.
Hence, by doing this, you will be able to fix the issue in no time. However, if the issue still continues, then perform the next fixing hack.
Hack 2: Start the Mozilla Firefox web browser in Safe Mode
Starting the Firefox in Safe Mode has resolved most of the issues which users face. Therefore, you can also try it out to start the web browser in Safe Mode. Hence, in case you do not know the steps, then get hold the steps that are mentioned below:
- Again here you have to open the Mozilla Firefox on your system.
- Now, from the top right corner, click on the three lines.
- In the next step, click on the Help option from the menu list.
- After that, you have to click on the Restart with Add-ons Disabled option.
- Now, confirm the action by clicking on the Restart button on the confirmation box.
- Once the Mozilla Firefox restarts, it will ask you to either Start in Safe Mode or Refresh Firefox.
- Here you can click on the Start in Safe Mode button.
- Now, check if you are able to run the Mozilla Firefox web browser with the annoying black screen or not.
Therefore, this is how you can run the Firefox web browser in Safe Mode. in case the issue is resolved then you can proceed to perform your daily tasks. Otherwise, if the issue persists, then have a look at the following section.
Hack 3: Update the Mozilla Firefox to its latest version
In case you are using an old version of the Firefox then it can be vulnerable to most of the errors. Hence, you have to update the Firefox web browser to its latest version. Therefore, the steps to follow are discussed for you below:
- Here also, you have to open the Mozilla Firefox and then again click on the three lines on the top right corner.
- Now, again click on the Help option from the list.
- After that, you have to click on the About Firefox option.
- Here, let the Firefox download and install its latest version (if available) automatically.
- Once the process finishes, restart the Mozilla Firefox web browser.
- As the Firefox relaunches, you can check if the black screen issue is resolved or not.
However, even after updating the Firefox, the issue persists, then move to the next fixing method below.
Hack 4: Disable the Mozilla Firefox Extensions or Add-ons
Using third-party extensions and add-ons can provide better features to the Mozilla Firefox. However, in extreme cases, these extensions and add-ons can prove to be a root cause of many errors and issues. Hence, you can disable the extensions and add-ons on a temporary basis. Therefore, the procedure to do this is provided as follows:
- Open the Mozilla Firefox web browser and then type about:addons in the address bar.
- Then, hit the Enter key from the system’s keyboard.
- In the new window, you will see all the installed extensions on the Firefox web browser.
- Now one by one, you have to click on the Disable button beside each of the installed extensions.
- Once done, save the changes and then close the Firefox.
- Now relaunch the Firefox web browser and then check for the black screen issue.
So, disabling the extensions on Firefox will help to resolve the issue. For other fixing methods, move to the next section of the article.
Hack 5: Clear the Cache and Cookies of Firefox
Storing too much cache and cookies files on the web browser can make the application slow and causes errors, Hence, clearing out the files is the only way to get rid of the issues. Therefore, the steps to perform are listed in the following section:
- In the first step, open the Mozilla Firefox and then press Ctrl, Shift, and Delete keys at the same time.
- Now, you will get a window which will show the progress of the data being cleared out of your system.
- After that, you have to set the time range to Everything and then, check all the available boxes.
- Finally, click on the Clear Now button at the bottom of the window in order to start the clearing process.
- Once the process finishes, close the Firefox web browser.
- Now relaunch Firefox and then try to check for the black screen issue.
In case the issue does not persist, then you are good to go. However, if the issue still shows up then perform the next fixing method.
Hack 6: Reset the Mozilla Firefox to its Default Settings
Resetting an application converts all its settings to its default state, just like when it was initially installed. Hence, you can also try to reset Firefox to its default settings. Therefore, the steps that can help you to perform the process are discussed as follows:
- Again open the Mozilla Firefox and then proceed to its menu section.
- Now click on the Help option and then choose the Troubleshooting information option.
- After that, you have to click on the Reset Firefox button. Now confirm the action and wait for the reset process to finish.
- Finally, click on the Finish button in the dialog box and wait for the Firefox to relaunch.
- Once the Firefox web browser relaunches, you have to check if the black screen issue is resolved or not.
In case the issue is still there, then you can try out the last solution.
Hack 7: Temporarily disable the third-party antivirus and the Windows Firewall
Most of the users have found that, disabling the security applications have resolved their issue. Hence, you can also perform the process by following the steps below:
- At first, find your third-party antivirus software on the Desktop and then right-click on it.
- Now, click on the Disable Auto-Protect option.
- On the other hand, you have to open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
- As the Control Panel window opens, click on the System and Security option.
- Next, click on the Windows Firewall and then choose the Turn Windows Firewall on or off option.
- In the next step, click on the Turn off Windows Firewall option and then, reboot your system.
- Once the system reboots, launch the Firefox to check if the Firefox screen black issue persists or not.
Hopefully, now you will be able to resolve the issue easily.
To Round it Off
To conclude, these are the best hacks that you will ever get to resolve the Firefox black screen issue. Therefore, follow all the methods in order to resolve the issue on your own, However, in case you face any difficulty then take the help of the experts. Hence, you can get back to us through the comments section below.