With the rapid expansion of digital media, increasing the forgery and the risks like never before. This brings the importance of the SSL (Secure Sockets Layer), which has become a mandate for every other website owners or webmaster, failing on which might get you diverse problems.
If you happen to see a note saying secure connection failed on your Mozilla Firefox, then do not panic. But, know that the SSL is probably messing up with the proper viewing of the website that you are aiming for.
Though this error is free to occur in any browser that is in existence, but here, we will discuss the particular issue when detected in Firefox. Thus, when you stumble upon an error message stating Secure Connection Failed, know that a website needs a secure connection (https).
In this case, Mozilla Firefox re-verifies this act of the website in order to assure that the website certificate and the method of connection are secure or not. And in this process, if it turns out to be negative, then you will obviously discover this particular error message creeping up on the screen.
About Firefox Secure Connection Failed and How it Occurs
If you face or currently facing an error in establishing a secure connection, you should have already noted that the page contains a description of the error along with an option Report to Mozilla and a Try Again button. You won’t even be having a choice to add a security exception to dodge this error.
Moreover, along with all these, you would also find the following:
- The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
- Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
Apart from this, some of the issues springing from the Security connections of websites might contain Did Not Connect: Potential Security Issue as its heading.
This is a variation of the above-mentioned error which contains an introductory sentence of the potential security threat. This would be followed by an option to report the error to Mozilla Firefox authority.
Then, you would also get an Advanced button to check with the error code and its related details. Here also, you won’t be getting any options pertaining to the addition of a security exception to further your journey with your target website.
Easy Solutions to Catapult the Mozilla Secure Connection Failed Error
Here lies some of the tried and tested methods arranged on the basis of their decreasing potency. So, jump right into them now:
Checking with the SSL Setting of the Firefox Browser
Any misconfiguration in the SSL settings of Firefox is definitely the first of the things that can cause his error to surface on your screen.
- Feed “About:Config” in the Address bar followed by the Enter button.
- You would here see an alert saying This might void your warranty. Go for I’ll be careful I Promise button.
- In the next section type security.ssl.enable_ocsp_stapling in the search box that you will be getting.
- If you see that the Value field is True. Then, toggle it to be False.
- After you are done with all these, try again with the website that you were trying to get in initially.
In case you are still not able to pull the website properly, then go for the next method.
Verify the Proxy Setting of Mozilla Firefox
If you have initially configured your computer to access the internet via Proxy. In such instances, you may also face this error.
- Once you get in the Firefox menu, click on the option Tools and then the Options button.
- Next, head for the Advanced panel and then left-click on the tab Network.
- After that, click Setting which you will find in the Connection field.
- Now, you will find a pop-up on the screen saying Connection Setting.
- Here, if Manual Proxy-Connection is selected. Note that, you now have to verify if all the fields of the protocol are right or not. This may include everything from HTTP Proxy, SSL Proxy, FTP Proxy to SOCKS Host. It is strictly recommended to reach a professional if you face any challenges while going through this part.
- In contradiction, if you do not find that the option Manual Proxy-Connection is selected from beforehand. Then, click on the OK button. After that, get hold of an expert who is at ease with your network and its associated things.
Problems with the Website SSL
Your journey to a particular website may be hindered if the SSL is not properly configured/installed on that website. Furthermore, in case the SSL is outdated, errors like Firefox Secure Connection Failed can also arise.
This happens because the browser in such situations don’t let you through the website, deeming it to be not secure enough.
Issues with the Security Software
Certain antivirus/malware pose problems while you are navigating online and restrict your free-flow quite unexpectedly.
Antiviruses, in most cases, contain features for interception secure connections. This add-on can sometimes really go disastrously wrong.
Supposedly, if the antivirus is outdated or any of its feature is malfunctioning due to its internal files being corrupt. Then, you can obviously face problems like Secure Connection Failed.
However, you can get around issues like these once you update your prevalent antivirus to the latest version, if it is available. You can also switch to a new browser if it gets on your nerves. But, if nothing helps, then move to the next method.
A Misconfigured System Clock
Almost all of the problems of browsing and of the internet occur if your system date and/or time is incorrectly set. So, ensure that they are set properly before you revert to the website again.
Drawing the Line
In case you are still getting the same issue even after you have diligently applied all of the above-mentioned methods, then reach an expert who will guide you. However, if you like this article, let others know of it. You can also let us know how you feel about this post and our website in general in the form of your comments which we highly look forward to.